Gigi Hadid’s Spicy Vodka Pasta
During the quarantine, there have been lots of new, delicious recipes going viral on the internet. One of my particular favorites is the Pasta alla Vodka recipe Gigi Hadid used when making pasta on her Instagram story. The pasta was a huge hit, can be made with or without vodka, and uses minimal ingredients for an amazing final product. This recipe has since been attempted by many and has been shown all over several social media platforms. Gigi’s Pasta is relatively easy to make, and it is absolutely worth a try, even if you aren’t a master chef.
Time: (about 30 mins)
- Prep time ~ 5 mins
- Cook time ~25 mins
Dice garlic clove
What you need:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, diced
- ¼ of a shallot
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon vodka (optional)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups of pasta
- ¼ cup pasta water
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil for garnish (optional)
How to make it:
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Then add the garlic and shallots and cook until soft. Next, add the ¼ cup tomato paste.
- Once you’ve added the tomato paste, cook the sauce until its darker in color and a little caramelized.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vodka and cook until it almost evaporates. (If you are choosing to add vodka, it should be added to the sauce after the sauce is caramelized.)
- Add the ½ cup heavy cream and 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Stir the vodka sauce until combined, and then it should have an orange coloration.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and then remove it from the heat.
- Cook your pasta. You can make any kind of pasta you’d like, but penne alla vodka traditionally calls for penne. (Make sure you save some pasta water before you strain the noodles! The starchy water will help the sauce stick to the pasta.)
- Once your pasta is cooked, add it into the pan with the sauce, and then add 1 tablespoon of butter and melt over medium heat. Start adding a little pasta water at a time until the sauce reaches your desired consistency.
- Add the ¼ cup parmesan cheese and stir. Salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with fresh basil. Voila!