STORY BY:

Cara Mabry

PHOTOS BY:

Anna Wood

DESIGN BY:

Cara Mabry

Initially, I planned to write a story about how much Barbie impacted me growing up and wholly constructed my idea of feminism. It turns out Barbie and I were never friends. In fact, we were complete strangers.  

So why did I assume she and I were close all through my younger years? Perhaps there are cultural norms at work here. However, I realized that that was not the case in my childhood, and I can infer that other young girls had an upbringing that lacked the idolization of Barbie as well.   

After the box-office hit Barbie came out this summer, going on to gross billions globally, I felt a sense of connection to the movie due to the common interest it provoked among women. Although the movie carried a more significant message beyond a light-hearted tale about a doll, I had presumed that, like every other girl, I had grown up with a Barbie doll in my assortment of toys. Only when I sat down at breakfast with my family, did I realize I did not recall playing with Barbie or any dolls in general.   

We were discussing my classes, and I said that I was writing an article about how Barbie was an essential part of my transition from girlhood to womanhood, and honestly, my parents looked at me quite confused.

They both made remarks along the lines of, “But you didn’t have a Barbie growing up?” and, “That wasn’t very popular when you were young.”  

I began reminiscing about my childhood and what toys I would typically feel drawn to. That being so, I was flooded with memories of sneaking into my brother’s room to shuffle through his collection of action figures and Legos. I was full of anticipation to see if the coast was clear, making several walk-bys to be 100 percent sure he didn’t have any friends over. Obviously, I could not be caught with my brother’s figurines because that simply wasn’t expected of little girls.       

I remember fleeing to my room, a space free of judgment and full of fantasy. Reenacting scenes from Star Wars movies and creating plots of various adventures fueled by my imagination. Ultimately, these memories made me rethink why I even assumed that Barbie was a prominent part of my youth. I began to reflect on my stereotypes of what little girls are expected to do, and what came to mind was a plethora of pink and a variety of dolls.  

It seems to me that stereotypes about young girls playing with Barbie dolls derive from traditional gender roles and societal expectations. Recognizing that these stereotypes are outdated and do not accurately represent young women’s diverse interests and preferences is essential. These generalizations are what end up shaping the foundations of internalized misogyny.   

Did the Barbie movie rewrite the narrative that all girls played with dolls?  

My theory is that the release of the movie created a false memory among women, prompting us to recall playing with dolls. In reality, we fabricated a flashback to feel a sense of connection with conventional girlhood.  

All children are unique, and their choice of toys should be supported positively and inclusively, regardless of whether that’s Barbie, G.I. Joe, or action figures stolen from your brother’s room.   

So I’m left with the questions I just talked about and some more:  

Did you play with Barbie as a little girl? Or did you just think you did?  

Are any brothers out there that played with their sister’s Barbie?