FIONA GILL

Class: Sophomore

Major: Management Information Systems

Hometown: Wall Township, NJ

Why did you choose to join the Honors College?

“I chose to join the Honors College at UA because I wanted to ensure that I would have the most enriching experience on this campus and surround myself with like-minded, driven peers. The Honors College is known for being a home to academic leaders and engaged students, which is exactly what I wanted to be a part of as an incoming student.

What is your favorite class you have taken in the Honors College?

My favorite class I’ve taken as a part of the Honors College has been the honor’s section of Legal Studies. The smaller setting of the honors level classes offered here make a massive difference in my engagement with my peers and professors. Being encouraged to contribute to discussions and work together in class creates a much more enriching and meaningful experience in my education.

What has been your favorite part of being in the Honors College?

“My favorite part of being in the Honors College is the people I’ve met and the opportunities I’ve had. So many of my closest friends are members of the Honors College, and they continue to encourage me to reach my academic goals every day. On top of that, I’ve met great faculty members and professors through the Honors College that have supported me throughout my time here.

What advice would you give to those who want to join the Honors College?

“My advice for incoming students who want to join the Honors College is to go for it and put yourself out there as much as possible. Trying new things, especially during Freshman year, will allow you to meet all kinds of people with different interests. To experience the full benefits of the Honors College at UA, you must be willing to put the effort in on your end as well.

Are you involved in anything special within the honors college?

I’m a member of the Randall Research Scholars Program within the Honors College, which is an undergraduate research program with a focus on computing technology. This program has allowed me to become well-versed in the properties of research and the technical skills we need to work one-on-one with professors in our research field. This year, I’m most excited to jumpstart my research project with my professor and utilize the skills I’ve learned in RRSP and the Honors College.