Name: Mattie Sisson

Position: Editorial Team

Howdy! My name is Mattie Sisson and I am so excited to be a writer for Mosaic magazine this semester! I’m a sophomore majoring in economics and political science from Ball Ground, Georgia. If you don’t know where that is, that’s because it’s a teeny tiny town in the middle of nowhere. I like it there though; it’s pretty there and it only takes about an hour to get into Atlanta. 

When I’m back home in Georgia, you can find me sitting in my favorite coffee shop where they age their coffee beans in whiskey barrels. I’m usually sitting at the counter raving with the barista about the unique flavor that barrel-aged coffee creates. When I am not fueling a caffeine addiction, I am playing with my sweet rescue dog Goose at the park or hanging out with my little sister. Although I am two years older, my sister and I share a birthday. I think that’s awesome now but growing up that was unimaginably lame.  

When I’m at school here in Tuscaloosa, you’ll find me hammocking with my friends at the Riverwalk, working out at the rec center, watching the news in bed, or eating avocado toast and having a latte at UPERK. The commonality here is that I drink a lot of coffee. It’s a rare occasion to see me out and about without a Dunkin cup in hand. 

Outside of school, I am involved in the Crimson Campus Ministry, The Interactive Decision Experiment (TIDE) lab, the honors college, and the Future Female Leaders of America. Writing for Mosaic this semester is something I am really looking forward to. I think it will provide some awesome experiences as well as some incredible opportunities for growth!